The Center for Data Innovation is seeking a senior policy analyst to focus on European technology policy issues, with a strong emphasis on data policy. The position will be based in Brussels and the selected candidate will be hired on a renewable annual contract.
The Center is a research institute affiliated with the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF)—the top ranked science and technology policy think tank in the world. The Center formulates and promotes pragmatic public policies designed to maximize the benefits of data-driven innovation in the public and private sectors. The Center’s research shows that the collection, analysis, and use of massive amounts of data will have the potential to generate enormous social and economic benefits, but successfully capitalizing on these opportunities will require creating public policies designed to allow data-driven innovation to flourish and eliminating those which would limit this progress.
The ideal applicant will share the Center’s point of view on data innovation issues and be an excellent writer and researcher who is able to effectively champion policies conducive to data innovation by producing high-quality content quickly and on deadline. The applicant should have a deep understanding of current trends in the use of data and analytics in the public and private sectors, and be well-versed on technologies related to data, such as artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, and cloud computing. In addition, the analyst should have a clearly demonstrated interest in the intersection of public policy, the economy, and technology, and a firm understanding of European policy issues.
- Write a series of reports, articles, op-eds, and government filings focused on European policy issues affecting data-driven innovation, including privacy, security, data localization, data analytics, open data, smart cities, artificial intelligence, and the Internet of Things.
- Regularly contribute to the Center’s successful series of interviews “5 Questions with a Data Innovator” to highlight different stories from Europe about how data innovation is changing government and industry.
- Engage directly with European policymakers, thought leaders, media, and other key influencers about policies to support data-driven innovation.
- Organize, host, and speak at conferences, panel discussions, debates, and other policy events.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders among European policymakers, experts, business leaders, and media involved in data policy to increase impact and raise funds.
- Relevant professional experience with a clear track record of success analyzing public policy issues and advocating for legislative or regulatory solutions
- Demonstrated experience and interest in technology policy.
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written, with a proven record of writing crisp, clear, and persuasive white papers, op-ed articles, blog posts, and other materials for an audience of policymakers.
- Excellent research, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Highly proactive and flexible, with an ability to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to network and build relationships with outside organizations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Fluency in English and French.
- A master’s degree in public policy, economics, political science, law, journalism, statistics, information science, or a related field preferred.
Applications for this position should be submitted to email@example.com. All applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (3-5 pages)
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. (Last updated August 29, 2018.)