Senior Analyst Daniel Castro will be part of the EAC discussion on the results of grant funded work and how recent innovations in accessibility research may be applied to the future of election administration and voting systems. The event will be webcast live & feature a Twitterfall on Thursday, May 9, 2013. Visit the EAC website for more information.
50 Ideas for More Accessible Elections
This report highlights fifty ideas, both big and small, to improve the accessibility of elections. Some of these ideas have already been implemented in a few elections and represent emerging best practices; others are still in the early design phase. These ideas can help spur others to continue to innovate and pursue new ways of making elections more accessible for all Americans.
Access Board Meeting on Voting Accessibility
ITIF Senior Analyst Daniel Castro will present on current research to make voting more accessible at the September meeting of the Access Board. This event is open to the public.
Making Voting More Accessible for Veterans with Disabilities
More than 40,000 American military personnel have been injured in Iraq and Afghanistan, and many of these Americans are undergoing lengthy recovery and rehabilitation treatments at hospitals far from home. Many barriers exist that may prevent these Americans from registering and voting in elections. Fortunately, improvements in technology and support services can make voting more accessible for these Americans and others who face barriers to participating in the electoral process. This report outlines the scope of the problem and lays out a number of technical and policy recommendations to make voting more accessible for veterans who have been injured while serving their country.
Related Partner Research:
- Voting Support Services for Injured Service Members
- Election Administration Processes for Injured Service Members
- Needs Assessment for Injured Service Members
- State Election Accessibility Practices [Survey Data]
- Pilot Project Plan for Providing Voting Assistance and Electronic Ballot Delivery to Georgia Veterans with Disabilities
- Monograph of Technical Findings
- Recommendations to Improve Accessibility for Absentee Voting Among Recently Injured Service Members