Morten Elbæk Petersen was born in Odense, Denmark, in 1961. He holds a Master’s degree in Economics and Social Science from the University of Odense.
Morten Elbæk Petersen has been Managing Director of the National Danish e-Health Portal – www.sundhed.dk – since May 2002.
Throughout his career Mr. Petersen has worked in the healthcare sector and for 17 years he held managing positions with a primary focus on planning, quality development, prevention and healthcare IT. He has been head of Prevention and Healthcare in the County of Funen and has been employed with the administration at Odense University Hospital. Mr. Petersen also held positions with the healthcare sections of the County administrations of both Ribe and Ringkjøbing counties.
- Head of Department, Department of Prevention and Health in the County of Funen (2001- 2002)
- Head of Office, Office of Health in the County of Funen (1996-2001)
- Vice Head of Office, Office of Health in the County of Funen (1993-1996)
- Planning Consultant at Odense University Hospital working on strategy and development of Odense University Hospital (1992-1993)
- Consultant in the Development Office of the Hospital Department in the County of Funen (1989-1992)
- Principal in the Department of Health in the County of Ringkøbing (1987-1989)
- Consultant/researcher at the South Jutland University Center on the project “Health profile in the County of Ribe (1988-1989)
Morten Elbæk Petersen has been External Lecturer (Public Marketing) at the Department of Marketing & Management at Odense School of Business & Economics and has also been responsible for several courses and education in other contexts – e.g. national courses given by the Association of Danish Counties (now Danish Regions) to county health and health insurance planning employees.