Does the PCAST Report Move Spectrum Policy in the Right Direction?
The President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) recently issued a controversial report on spectrum policy. The report declares the current system of spectrum reallocation "unsustainable" and recommends that the sharing of raw spectrum by multiple network operators should be the new norm. The panel will explore the report's many findings and recommendations in order to answer the following questions:
- What is the current system for spectrum assignment?
- Is the current system sustainable?
- How fast is the government's appetite for spectrum growing?
- How can we best manage competing demands for spectrum in the commercial and government sectors?
- Is it practical to replace exclusive licensing with a raw sharing regime?
- Are there alternatives to exclusive licenses and unlicensed access?
- What options will advances in technology provide to spectrum policymakers?